拍品专文
It was traditionally believed that the name Cowes came from the two forts, or 'cow castles' that Henry VIII built on the entrance of the Medina River in 1539 as a deterrent to the French. With stone taken from Quarr and Beaulieu Abbeys, Thomas Bertie, the King's Master Mason, who also built Calshot, constructed at West Cowes a semi-circular gun platform commanded by a small, round, two storey tower with two single storey wings. Although fortified with cannon, its guns were only known to have been fired once in anger in 1642 during the Civil War.
In 1716 much of the round tower was demolished and a series of major alterations took place over the 18th century which included the building of a wall across the centre of the old tower, with a more domesticated front to seaward decorated with windows, as seen here. However, the principal remodelling of the building occurred after the Royal Yacht Squadron took over the premises in 1855.
This picture shows a rare depiction of the building before the Squadron's alterations in the mid-19th century.
In 1716 much of the round tower was demolished and a series of major alterations took place over the 18th century which included the building of a wall across the centre of the old tower, with a more domesticated front to seaward decorated with windows, as seen here. However, the principal remodelling of the building occurred after the Royal Yacht Squadron took over the premises in 1855.
This picture shows a rare depiction of the building before the Squadron's alterations in the mid-19th century.